Ten Things About Me As A Writer

You have been tagged (this one's from Jenny).

1. Your genre(s)?
I seem to have become a Young Adult novel writer, not through any intentions of my own! I guess writing romance has had it, now that I've gotten those two fan-based novels out of my system and don't seem to be writing any new, adult stories...
2. How many books have you completed?
Three. The Face of A Lion should be done this winter!!!
3. How many books are you working on now?
One. Plus another revision and some translations on the back burner.
4. Are you a linear or chunk writer?
Used to be completely linear. Now I'm a semi-linear chunk writer. This leaves me lots of gaps that I find it hard to fill, usually involving the ending of a scene or bridges where one day/scene/incident ends and before the next one starts.
5. The POV you're most partial to?
Third. I haven't been able to maintain a consistent voice in first and omniscient has only been done well by Tolkien and other generations before him.
6. The theme that keeps cropping up in your books?
Love. Yes, in one word. Yes, in all its implications.
7. How many days a week do you write?
Define "write". I think about my current story constantly and ideas crop up all over the place. In the frenzy of writing I'll write every day no matter where I am or what else I'm doing. That dies down after a few months and then I have to force myself to set aside time. Research I'll willingly do every day.
8. What time of day do you get your best writing done?
All night if I'm alone in the house. At lunch if I'm disciplined or in a frenzy. Mornings only work every once in a while.
9. Who are your mentors?
Most of my favourite authors (Tolkien, Waugh, Orwell, CS Lewis, Dorothy Sayers, Emily Carr, oh alright, all the Brits from pre-1954). Those who excel at the craft (Diana Gabaldon, Joanna Bourne – hey, they belong in the favourites list too). All the writers who write stories, without worrying about whether it's for kids or teens or adults (Katherine Paterson, Jean Little, Janet Lunn – yes, all the Canadian YA authors).
10. Who are your favourite authors to read? (different from mentors)
Wait, why different from the mentors? Fine, who’s left? G. K. Chesterton, Owen Barfield, James Herriot, E. Nesbit, Paul Gallico, Paul Auster, Charles Bukowski, Stephen Fry, John Bellairs, etc. etc.

Comments

Precie said…
Just a heads up...For the debut of Evil Editor's Novel Deviations 3, my blog friend Church Lady is hosting a party on 1/24.

I seem to recall that something of yours may have been selected for ND 3, although you might have opted out. In any case, thought you might be interested! :)
Deniz Bevan said…
Oooh, thanks Precie! I'll see if I can visit the party :-) I was wondering when ND3would be released...