Middle Grade and Young Adult Scavenger Hunt

X marks the spot!

I've adapted this from From The Mixed-up Files:

Middle Grade and Young Adult Fiction Scavenger Hunt

1. Find a book whose author’s first name begins with the same letter as yours.
My find: Can't find one that I've actually read, so we'll go with last name starting with a D - Matilda, by Roald Dahl

2. Find a shelf less than half full and pick the third book from the left.
My find: A shelf less than half full? I don't have one of those! Okay, there's one that has space for a few more books, and on there we've got a Welsh book Deian a Loli by Kate Roberts (in Welsh)

3. Pick a shelf at random and look for the shortest book on the shelf.
My find: William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience

4. Find a book with the word “secret” in the title.
My find: The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett

5. Find a book featuring one of your favorite characters; pick the book to its left.
Character: From Anna by Jean Little; my find: Kate by Jean Little

6. Find a book with the word “dog” in the title and pick the book to its right.
My find: Dog Stories by James Herriott; my find: Cat Stories by James Herriott

7. Find a book with a number in the title.
My find: The Babysitters Club #13 Goodbye Stacey, Goodbye by Ann M. Martin

8. Find a one-word title.
My find: Perelandra by C. S. Lewis

9. Find an un-jacketed, library-bound book — if there are more than one on the same shelf, pick the one that looks most “loved” (worn).
My find: I've got lots of these! My find: More Stories for Fun and Adventure

10. Find the Newbery winner for the year you were born.
My find: I love the one from 1931, The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth and of course A Wrinkle in Time from 1963, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler from 1968 and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH from 1972. I wish Susan Cooper's The Grey King and Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia were from my year, because while I love the 1979 Honor Book, The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson, I've never read the 1979 Medal Winner, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.

Here's the full list.

Comments