Contests, Contest Winner, Writing Tips and More

Kate Kaynak - aka Disgruntled Bear - has a spring writing contest on, featuring awesome tag lines from a number of different authors. I based my entry on help from Nadja (thank you! and let me know whether you'd prefer a critique of your first page or 10$ through PayPal!):

A dangerous and passionate journey, for a love that must transcend faith and family, East and West.

Voting starts Monday. Please head over to the contest page and vote for your favourite awesome line.


Lori has been posting awesome writing tips from Lauri, a dear member of the Compuserve Books and Writers Community who passed away last year. Here's Lauri on Character Motivation, Trimming the Fat, and Back Story.




Medeia's been blogging about books she's reading - and I won the giveaway! Thanks Medeia!





Not much to report for A Round of Words in 80 Days. I edited 20 pages yesterday! But it was all scribbles on paper; I've only transferred a few pages worth into the actual MS. I've chopped a lot out of the middle of the novel and now there's a gaping hole in it that needs quite a lot of stitching. What to do, what to do...


Ooh! Tahereh has ARCs of Shatter Me to give away!




Plug for Hélène Boudreau (host of #weekendwordwar on Facebook) whose got lots of MGs and YAs coming out!




Quiet, please. Our author's trying to solve a plotting problem...


Comments

Lori Benton said…
Thanks for mentioning my Lauri posts! It was a year ago today I read the news of her passing. I don't think a day goes by I don't remember her with gratitude. I attended a book signing today with some author friends and wound up talking about how much Lauri helped me on my writing journey.

Tossing some CONFETTI here at your place, in her memory!
Deniz Bevan said…
Aww, I can feel that Lauri confetti sprinkling around me. Thanks, Lori. I hope it helps me write something decent as I get off the internet and go do some more editing...
Al said…
Good luck with the plotting problem.

Given your comment on my blog the solution will probably be something you don't want to do!
CathrynLouis said…
20 pages is a lot - and it helped reveal something that needs work. I say you made significant progress. Keep it going!
Katy Bennett said…
Congrats and best of luck filling in the hole, the story will be better for it
Nadja Notariani said…
Wow! (Smiles at the thought my line was helpful) Thanks for the mention. I think I would like the first page critique...I'll email you. My email is nadja.notariani@gmail.com
Keep up the editing and good luck working out your plot issue.
Have a great week, Deniz! ~ Nadja
I do so love your clever way of doing the blogging alphabet.

Thanks for the mention of these contests, I hadn't heard of these blogs - great contest idea - love your logline!

Keep up the great work on your wip!
Nas said…
Thanks for the contest links, Deniz.

All the best for you wip!
Claire Legrand said…
Editing 20 pages is great work! Fabulous job, and I loved seeing all these shoutouts and linkies on your blog! Way to show some love for your fellow writers. :) Happy writing/editing this week!
Talli Roland said…
Congrats on winning the giveaway, Deniz! And thank you for a great round up. Hope you had a good weekend.
Jenny Maloney said…
Awesome job on the editing. I think that scribbles should count.
Anonymous said…
You're welcome.

I look forward to reading SHATTER ME.
alberta ross said…
you seemed to have done well - and holes always fill in - best of luck next week
I'd love to win an ARC of Shatter Me. Thanks for the links!
Bess Weatherby said…
Oh plotting problems . . .

Thanks for the links!

And yes -- you should most definitely consider reading "A Song of Ice and Fire." The fifth book is coming out this summer, so it's the perfect time! Although, I will warn you, they suck you in. Don't start unless you have a significant amount of time to read!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks Al - that's what I'm afraid of!
Thanks Cathryn and Katy!

Looking forward to your email Nadja...

Thank you TerryLynn, Nas, Claire and Talli - hope you guys had great weekends too!

Thanks Jenny. I wish the scribbles would fly over onto the computer, though...

Thanks Medeia and alberta!

I wouldn't mind winning that ARC either, Theresa. Too many books on my wishlist - it's fun to win a few.

Thanks Bess - oh no, not more books to suck me in... I need a week off work just to read :-)
Anonymous said…
Congrats and good luck with solving your plotting problem! :D
Congratulations on winning Medeia's contest!

Thanks for all of the links. :)
Susan Fields said…
Congrats on winning Medeia's contest! I won one of her contests before. She's so generous!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you lb, Sharon and Susan!