Blists Hill Victorian Town, Carole Anne Carr, A New Schedule, and Eagles!

Victorian fun at Blists Hill, Ironbridge, Shropshire.

But first, some ROW80. The editing is moving, but slowly. However, I have a new schedule!

I know we all say this now and then, but this time I'm really feeling excited about it - mainly because I've scheduled in more reading time, and some free time.

Not counting errands, querying, visiting with family and friends and the occasional 5 a 7, and besides the 9-5 job (I read on the commute and knit at lunch), I've come up with this:
Mondays - edit (currently working on edits for Ayten's story, Rome, Rhymes and Risk)
Tuesdays - blog/Forum
Wednesdays - edit
Thursdays - scrapbook
Fridays - read (yay!) and housekeep (sigh)
Saturdays - blog (which is great, because now when we visit with family and friends I don't have to feel guilty being away from the internet, as I did when I thought I should be editing on Saturdays)
Sundays - free day! (on the condition that I don't go online, since if I do that, I could well be editing)

This should see Rome, Rhymes and Risk edited by the first week of June, then I can spend June entering the changes, July editing on paper once more and filling in scenes, August typing all that up, and... Sending the story to betas by the end of August.

I know what you're going to say - The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men / gang aft agley. But you never know! This might just be the schedule that gets me motivated. Writing is easy; editing is hard.

That said, I've got a few more articles on Bizim Anadolu if you'd like to read about Montreal!

And don't forget the eagles! The Raptor Resource Project has webcams on "newly hatched owlets in the Valmont Great Horned owl nest, three eaglets in Decorah, four Peregrine falcon eggs at Great Spirit Bluff, Canada goose eggs at Eaglecrest, and Turkey Vultures back in Missouri."

The project "monitors raptor populations, provides and improves nest boxes and nest sites, works with other organizations on behalf of birds of prey, and develops innovations in wildlife viewing and education that bring people closer to the natural world."

Meanwhile, back to the Victorian town. Those of you who know Carole Anne Carr might be excited to hear that Blists Hill is the setting for two of her middle grade novels, Candle Dark, and the forthcoming second book in the series.

Here are a handful of photos from my visit last month:

A random tower on the Silkin Way

A dentist's surgery - reminded me of the teeth pulling scenes in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series

Speaking of Outlander, here's a printing press that might resemble Jamie Fraser's.

And here's the printer's shop where I learned the origin of the phrase 'to come a cropper'

I thought this couple was very sweet

Interesting land measurement terms...

Street theatre does Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Urchins!

Not necessarily Victorian, but I find cricket very confusing. Even more so after a drink or two!

Have you travelled back in time recently?

Comments

Zan Marie said…
Love the new design, Deniz! But then, I'm the queen of redesiging blogs. ; )

The pics are great! I wish I'd been there.
Writing in the Victorian era is my love. I travel back in time every day.

Lots of projects to view here, Deniz. :)
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for the mention, Deniz, and especially about my favourite place, twenty odd years of visiting Blists Hill with numerous lovely lively people from my primary school. Ah, memories...
Anonymous said…
Great pics. Sorry I haven't been around lately. This latest round of bronchitis/sinus infection is terrible. Knocking me down.
S.P. Bowers said…
How cool would that be to have a job as an urchin!

Good luck on the new schedule.
Carol Riggs said…
Good for you, making a schedule! I guess I have one, I just don't write it down. LOL Very cool photos you shared, too. Good luck with your writing projects!
Melanie Macek said…
Ah, more pictures!! Print shop definitely makes me think of Jaime...and Ben Franklin. lol. Probably because we visited Boston and Philadelphia recently.

Good luck with the new schedule. Hope it works for you. I'll have to let you know how my by-hand writing goes :)

Melanie
Angela Brown said…
I enjoyed my venture back in time via your pictures. Looked like such a wonderful experience and lovely times were had.
Unknown said…
Awesome pint glass!
Hi Denise .. great photos and descriptions - so much there which I find so interesting.

Love your schedule - keep going and have fun .. cheers Hilary
online diploma said…
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.
Trisha said…
I love all your mentions of Gabaldon's books. Yay!! I was talking to my uncle recently and he said he's been listening to the audiobooks :)

Here's an award for ya:

http://thefarseas.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/great-comments-award.html
Kim Switzer said…
Love the photos! And yes, I've traveled back in time recently. I do all the time--I'm part of a Regency recreation group and am working on an event called the Time Travelers' Ball amongst other historical hobbies, so I get to play in other timelines quite often.

It's so good to hear that you've schedule in some reading and relaxation time. Our creative brains need that so much. Yay, you!
Deniz Bevan said…
Thank you, Zan Marie. You inspired me!

I'm so looking forward to reading your book, Glynis!

I kept looking for your books in the gift shop, Carole Anne :-)

Oh no! Hope you're feeling better, Joshua!

Actually, Sara... I think the urchins were school kids on a day trip - I would have loved to dress up like that on a field trip!

Thank you, Carol!

I've been to Boston, but not Philly, yet, Melanie. Hope to, this summer!

Thanks online, Angela and Lara!

Dover coming tomorrow, Hilary!

Ooh, an ward! How sweet, thank you Trisha :-)

A Regency recreation group - that sounds awesome, Kim! I'd love to dress up for a ball...
nutschell said…
Love the cool pictures--and the new blog look. Having a schedule is awesome. You'll definitely get more done that way:)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Deniz Bevan said…
Thanks so much, Nutschell!